Professor Emeritus and, since 2008, Researcher in the CIDEHUS Centre (University of Évora).
Main postgraduate diplomas:
DESS in Ecology and Nature Environmental Planning (Montpellier University, 1977); Doctor – Engineer in Biogeography and Nature Environmental Planning (Toulouse University, 1981). PhD in Arts and Techniques of the Landscape (University of Évora, 1991).
Other relevant university activities: President of the Department of Ecology Council (1995-1997); President of the Nature and Environment Sciences Area Directive Council (1995-1997); Founder of the Mediterranean Ecosystems Study Centre – CEEM (1991) and President of the management board of this institution between 1991 and Jan. 2004; National delegate in the management board of the COST G2 Program “Ancient Landscapes and Rural Structures” (European Community, DGXII), May 1995 – Dec. 2001; Director of the U.E. Human Ecology Master (1997-2007).
Organization of scientific international meetings: Member of the executive board of the 1st. National Meeting of Landscape Ecology (Montemor-o-Novo, 25-28 March 1988); Coordinator of the international workshop “Cultural Parks” (University of Évora, 14-16 November 1996) – COST G2 Program; Chairman of the executive committee of the 1st. Symposium in Landscape Ecology, Land Planning and Conservation of Nature (University of Évora, 24-26 October 2002).
Main research areas: Cultural Heritage and Environment; Cultural Landscape.
Publications: author or co-author of 8 books, 44 book chapters, 16 papers in periodicals with referees, 13 papers in other reviews.
Editions: co-editor of 2 books.
Selected publications on heritage:
- 2013 – “Rehabilitation of abandoned villages through tourism: a solution for sustainable heritage development?”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Rural Tourism“Re-inventing rural tourism and the rural tourism experience – Conserving, innovating and co-creating for sustainability”(4th-7th Sept. 2013, Aveiro Univ., Portugal), Aveiro: University of Aveiro, pp. 804-818. With Marisa Filipe and Leonor Themudo Barata. CD format proceedings.
- 2013 – “The Aqueduct of Setúbal (Portugal). Characterization and Development as Heritage”, in: Wiplinger, G. (ed.), Historische Wasserleitungen. Gestern – Heute – Morgen, Babesch Supplements, 24, Leuven: Peeters Pub., pp.195-204. With Paul Benoit, Karine Berthier, Joséphine Rouillard and Virgolino Jorge.
- 2012 – “Is it possible to keep heritage landscapes original functions? Remarks on land degradation threats and monitoring indicators”, in: Landscapes: Perception, Knowledge, Awareness, and Action, Volume 1, New York: Addleton Academic Publishers, pp.5-18. With Sofia Capelo and Filipe Themudo Barata (ISBN 978-1-935494-34-8, LCCN: 2012938421)
- 2011 – “Monitoring indicators as an important tool to assess the quality of heritage landscape along the time”. In The Problems of Landscape Ecology. Four Dimensions of Landscape. Vol. XXX (2011), pp. 241-248. Faculty of Geography and Regional Studies of the University of Warsaw and Polish Association for Landscape Ecology (eds.), Warsaw, pp. 241-248. With Sofia Capelo and Filipe Themudo Barata .
- 2011 – “Why cultural landscapes have different values? Thinking about heritage landscape evaluation and monitoring tools”, in: Journal of Landscape Ecology, 4(1) (2011) 5-17. With Sofia Capelo and Filipe Themudo Barata (ISSN: 1803-2427).
- 2011 – “Abandoned villages and related geographic and landscape context: guidelines tonatural and cultural heritage conservation and multifunctional valorization”. European Countryside, 1, pp. 21-45. With Marisa Filipe.
- 2010 -“Humans and the Multifunctional Valorization of Extensive Systems Landscapes. A Comparative Study of the Portuguese Montado and the Brazilian Cerrado”, in: Pires, I.M., Gibert, M. & Hens, L. (eds.), Studies in Human Ecology, Hanoi: Publishing House for Science and Technology, 2010, pp. 155-180. With Ana Lúcia Rocha.
- 2010 – “Heritage Landscapes in Évora surroundings: a GIS approach”, in: Yildizci, A.C. et al. (eds.), Proceedings of the 27 th. ECLAS Conference “Cultural Landscape” (Istambul, 29 Sept.-02 Oct.), Istambul, pp.791-802. With Teresa Batista, Paula Mendes and Vasco Mantas.
- 2009 – Aproveitamentos Hidráulicos Romanos a Sul do Tejo. Contribuição para a sua Inventariação e Caracterização. Facsimile book from 1987 reprint. Lisboa: EPAL – Empresa Portuguesa de Águas Livres, S.A., 236 p.. With António C. Quintela and João Luís Cardoso.
- 2008 – A Cava de Viriato. História, Paisagem e Património, Viseu: Ed. ViseuPolis e Ministério do Ambiente, 151 p. + Summary in English. With Filipe Themudo Barata.
- 2006 – “Portuguese Overseas Gunpowder Factories, in Particular Those of Goa (India) and Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) “, in: Buchanan, B. J. (ed.), Gunpowder, Explosives and the State . Aldershot: Ashgate, pp. 183-205.
- 2005 – “The Cultural Park as a Platform Connecting Human Ecology with Cultural Landscape Management”, in: Journal of Mediterranean Ecology, vol.6, Nº1, pp. 11-18. With Filipe Themudo Barata.
- 2002 – Preservando a Memória do Território/ Preserving the Land’s Memories. O Parque Cultural de Tourega – Valverde/ The Tourega-Valverde Cultural Park. Évora: Centro de Estudos de Ecossistemas Mediterrânicos – Universidade de Évora. 164 p.. With Filipe Themudo Barata.